Happy Birthday to me

I am 37 minutes into my 40th year, and so far so good.  Pretty quiet, actually.


Ive been formulating a post in my head about how I feel about this birthday, and life in general now that I've reached this milestone.  I haven't really had time to type it up yet, so you'll have to wait a bit more for it.

Funny, when I got on the subway to go home today, a guy sitting down caught my eye and asked me if I wanted his seat.  I politely declined.  Another woman, fairly attractive and about my age got on next and stood right in front of him but he didn't ask her.  I was feeling quite smug and maybe a tad bit superior right then.  Which got me thinking about life at 40, what the next several years are going to be like and what my attitude is going to be.  I was thinking that this might be my greatest decade yet.  But then it hit me.   He probably thought I was pregnant.

Yikes.

Whatever.

If you need me, I'll be at the beach all day .....

10 comments:

Rachael said...

Happy Birthday!!! You are 3+ years ahead of me, but my younger sisters remind me all the time, "RACH -- you're going to be 40 soon!" And then THEY start freaking out because it makes THEM feel old. Nice, huh?!

Michelle Smiles said...

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

well, shit howdy! Happy Birthday!!

Barely Sane said...

Happy Birthday

Lori said...

Happy 40th. I am sure that guy did not think you were pregnant, unless you've changed drastically since I last saw a picture of you! When I was pregnant no one would offer up their seat for me. Although I do find men to be much more kind than women when it comes to traveling along side a mother with kids. Women can be down right bitchy!

mama k said...

Happy B-lated Birthday!

Jenni said...

Happy belated-40th! I didn't know your big day was the day after Vika's. Great things happen in mid-July, I guess. ;)

As for the guy on the subway, I prefer to assume that he just thought you were cuter than the other girl. Makes perfect sense, right?

I hope 40 is your best year yet!

Lauren said...

Happy belated Birthday!!

This too is my 40th year and for whatever reason I just can't believe I am 40 already. It seems weird to say.

Rob, Dana, Murphy and Jack! said...

Obviously I'm catching up on posts! Hope you had a great day!

beagle said...

Man, I am late to the party . . .

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!

I am 41, does that make you feel better? ;-)

Post a Comment

About me...

My son is adopted.  I love to knit.  I'm the breadwinner and my husband is a SAHD.  Yes, I am slightly off center from the norm.  So?